Friday, December 12, 2008

Bird House in Winter



This is one of my favorite pictures that I have captured.






The 1st and for most reason is that it reminds me of my grandma & grandpa's farm back in South Dakota.



It was a place that I grew up visiting every summer. It was not until I was older that I appreciated all the personal touches that my grandparents had added to the farm. When my grandpa finally sold the farm to move into town we took a trip to see it for the last time, as the new owners were removing the house, barn, out buildings along with its surrounding trees. So we were able to take items that grandpa did not need in town. The things that intreged me the most were the old farm elements such as an old window frame off the chicken coup, an old shovel & fork and 2 of the birdhouses that my Grandpa had made many years ago. He had a whole row of them along the driveway, which had stood there for years.



My Grandpa will be 103 on February 10th. He is in my thoughts every day and my 2 bird house from the farm are in my green house to remind me of the farm house that contained so many family memories.
****************************************************************************
************************************************



2 comments:

Cindy said...

My Dad has built many, many birdhouses over the years, too.
I also grew up with farming grandparents and have so many wonderful memories of being there.
Congratulate your Grandpa on his 103rd birthday for me! Wow! Think of the changes he has seen over the course of his lifetime!

CreativeMish said...

I've always loved bird houses. 103! Wow! I love writing about memories and thinking about the fun times as a child